Thursday, June 2, 2011

Classroom Time Saver Idea: Grade Entry & Hand Backs

This idea comes from my wife, who is an excellent educator, and master teacher (see some of her wonderful blog posts here, here, and here).  I love this idea because it is a great way to save myself precious time, and find out who hasn't handed back assignments.

After correcting the assignments, I place them in a pile by my computer. I usually hand back assignments either first thing in the morning, or at the end of the day. Sometimes I do it when I have five an extra minutes because a lesson wrapped up earlier than expected.  I open my gradebook, input the score, call out the student's name, and then repeat the process with the next student.

When I've recorded the last score, I quickly scan my gradebook to see who hasn't turned in their work. I call those students to the desk, and follow up with them. This is also a good way to find out who forgot to put their name on their paper (A post about never having no-name papers again is found here.)

This plan kills two birds with one stone. I record and hand back the papers in one fell swoop. What a handy time saver it is!

 I hope you can use this idea in your classroom tomorrow!

No comments: