Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Teaser Tuesday!

Jason and I are both reading "The Book Whisperer" by Donalyn Miller. At the beginning of Chapter 4, Miller writes about using a 'teaser' to share books with students to get them excited to read. Basically, you read an excerpt from a book which, in Miller's words, "gives you a taste of the book without revealing the entire plot." The goal, of course, is to motivate your students to pick up the book and read it independently.

I thought a fun quick routine you could do with students is have 'Teaser Tuesday'. This would be a designated time each Tuesday to share a teaser from a different book. Something fun, quick, and, with the use of alliteration, at least one of my students would remind me about Teaser Tuesday...which I would inevitably forget once in while!

Need a book ideas to start? Donalyn Miller has a great list of recommendations across many genres!

No comments: